Tuesday, May 14, 2013

37 weeks- Full term!!

We are at 37 weeks today and that means we are officially full term!  Yes, the baby still has a few more weeks to chubb up of much needed growing to do (primarily lung function, perfecting the sucking/swallowing reflexes and a few other things) but if he or she were to make their appearance tomorrow, the chances of survival are extremely high, and our chances of spending time in the NICU are drastically low. 
Knowing we are so close to meeting our little one is so unbelievably terrifying exciting, and the anticipation of finding out whether we have a son or daughter in there has been killing me lately!  There are so many fun outfits and toys and accessory things that I need want and if we knew whether we had a blue or pink, things would be a smidge easier.  No, I dont regret in the least not finding out the gender- it will be an amazing surprise on Delivery Day- but just saying- a few things could've been easier had we known ;)
 
Our appointment today went great.  B was unable to make it due to work, but at this point a lot of what happens is slightly anticlimactic if its not happening to you (at least I'm pretty sure thats how I'd feel if I had do sit through some of the stuff he has!  He's a trooper, I tell you).  We did one final ultrasound to see how things look, and all was great!  The baby is head down, face down, and veeery stubborn.  Dr. D. tried to get a look at his or her face, but there was no budging.  We got a good look at the heart, kidneys, bladder, spine/ribcage and feet.  The heartbeat was nice and strong, all fluids were normal and she guestimated the size of the baby to be between 5 1/2 and 6lbs.  Based on the ultrasound though, he or she has quite large feet- they are roughly 7cm (that's approx. 3 inches!).  Its a good thing Gma and Gpa Akley have a boat, I seem to be growing a baby platypus in there ;)
 
 
How far along? 37 weeks
Total weight gain/loss: +35.2lbs. I find it ironic that the weight gain was such a huge deal at the beginning, and now that I'm in a certain 'weight class', it doesn't quite phase me as much. Thats not to say that I dont have a breakdown on a daily basis every so often, but on the whole, I think I'm doing much better with it.
Maternity clothes? Absolutely. I am living in dresses and skirts lately, and it has been gloriously comfortable (or as comfortable as you can be when you're 37 weeks pregnant).  The flip flops have made a huge different in the comfort level of my feet, but i can definitely tell the difference in swelling at the end of the night when i take them off!  At the rate I'm going though, I'm hoping that the water retention starts to slow down soon or i'll be walking around with slippers on.    
Stretch marks? Still none and keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way!
Best moment this week: At our 37 week appointment today, we had our final ultrasound! Granted, the baby is big enough now that some of the details weren't as visible in 2D as they have been in the past, but seeing our little one growing and thriving in there was such an amazing sight!
Miss anything: Having normal looking/feeling feet.  The skin is so tight and no matter how much water i drink, it doesn't seem to help
Movement:  Not only is it very visible, but when the baby moves to one side or another, my stomach gets wicked lopsided as a result.  Its so funny to feel a somewhat squishy side (where the baby isn't) and then a rock hard ball/bump where the baby is. 
Food cravings: This could be considered a craving- but lately I can't get enough popsicles!! I eat at least two per day. They can't be that bad for me (minus all the sugar) but I justify it with the fact that I'm getting extra fluids when i eat them. lol
Anything making you queasy or sick: Nope.
Have you started to show yet: yes
Gender: We are still team green!
Labor Signs: The baby is head down and face down, which is what we want when it comes time to deliver. I'm also at a 1 right now, so not at any major risk for pre-term labor, but you never know! He/she needs to stay cooking at least until next Sunday so we can make it through the baby shower without any issues!
Belly Button in or out? Still ridiculously flat
Wedding rings on or off? I've had to remove the 'stand-in' one i purchased, even that one is too small now :(
Happy or Moody most of the time: Happy, but occasionally getting grumpy.
Looking forward to: Our baby shower at Gma and Gpa Akley's this weekend! It will be catered by Qdoba (YUM!) and from what i know, there are fun games (both indoor and outdoor) planned. Events like this just reinforce how blessed we are to have such awesome family and friends, and that they want to share this amazing journey of our lives with us is such a great feeling!  I"ll be sure to take photos of the day and will post about it when I can.
 
Woah baby. 37 weeks today
 Its been a bit since I've posted a 'regular clothes' photo of me and Baby A, so here we are at 37 weeks.  I meant to take one on Mother's Day, but in the hectic-ness of getting up to the lake after church, i spaced it!


our new addition to the back yard patio
 Summertime is kind of a big deal around our house; we love the outdoors and all that comes with it.  We have been looking for a fire pit for some time now, and found this baby on sale at Menards and knew we had to jump on it! There is something awesomely relaxing about sitting in-front of a fire, and the countless smores we plan on making sound pretty awesome too.  It made a great addition to our back patio and we can't wait to get many hours of enjoyment out of it in the coming years.

 
We try to go on walks in the evenings with Copper (to work out some of his pent up energy and to get me some much needed exercise!), and often stop at the elementary school playground near our house.  These last few weeks of time spent 'just the two of us' are precious, and we are soaking up all the together time that we can until Baby A makes their appearance!
 
 While I knew it was coming up, and knew we needed to celebrate our own mothers, I got to celebrate my first Mothers Day this past Sunday. I wasn't sure if I qualified this year or not, seeing as how Baby A is still in utero, but my dad told me that I certainly qualified because I'm trying to do all the right things for the baby- so that makes me a mother :) Its so great to know that we will get to celebrate these holidays in the coming years, and that B will get to celebrate Father's Day next month with our new little one!!
We spent Mother's day on the lake this year with Gma and Gpa Akley and Gpa Dobbs and it was great.  The sunburn I got- not so much- but spending time with loved ones was awesome.  Even though my mom was in another state, she was being celebrated in person by my brother, and we were thinking of her from far away.  We are so blessed to have both our moms in our lives, and the roles that they play (and have played) are invaluable. The examples they have set for us in being a good example, role model, best friend, spouse and mother could not be better, and we are so appreciative of them both! Love you guys :)
 

Mothers Day 2013

 
#Lyndsey

No comments:

Post a Comment